Here are a few examples when you may need attach / detach children without adding or deleting them:
· When child was mistakenly added to the wrong parents, and you need to move the child to the new parents.
· If you added people in the tree without knowing they were parents of another individual in your project and found it out while doing your family research.
· When a child was adopted by an uncle or an aunt (or other relatives whom you already added in the tree).
To detach existing children from their parents:
1. Under parents’ personal cards click ‘Edit’ button. Select ‘Children’ and click on ‘Manage children’.
2. In the window that opens, select the child from the list and click ‘Detach child’.
To attach a child from the list of existing people in the tree:
On the parent’s personal card click ‘Edit’ button. Select ‘Children’ and click on ‘Attach existing child’.
The window with the list of individuals in your family tree will open. Select the person from the list and click ‘Select’.
Note: if you need to show both natural and adopting parents, you shouldn’t detach child from the natural parents. Just use ‘Attach parents’ option as described above, and attach adopting parents. You will be suggested to select the correct relationship.
For more information about adding adopted or step-children read one of the following articles: