If you edit your tree online, please read the following article: How can I connect / disconnect existing people in my online family tree?
Sometimes it is necessary to create or remove relationship between existing people in your tree without adding or deleting them.
Here are a few examples when you may need doing this:
1. Show marriage between relatives (e.g. attach cousins as spouses without listing any of them in the tree twice)
2. Fix a wrong connection between children and parents
3. Move an entire branch in the family tree
In such cases you should use ‘Attach / Detach’ feature:
‘Attach’, as opposed to ‘Add’, lets you draw a connecting line between two people who are already in the tree.
‘Detach’ removes that connection without deleting any of the individuals.
For each type of relationship there is a way to Attach or Detach:
1. For husband and wife this feature is located in the “Spouses” menu.
2. For children it is located in the “Children” menu.
3. For parents it is located in the “Parents” menu.
Please read one of the following articles to use Attach /Detach feature for the correct relationship: